Monday, May 27, 2024

Pivot Rock Canyon

Weather:  74ยบ, sunny

About this Hike:  Pivot Rock Canyon sounded like a good Memorial Day hike. I would be going north on 87 to the rim while everyone else would be heading south and back to Phoenix. My assumption proved correct. 

Pivot Rock Canyon is accessible via either FR-616 or FR-142. I chose the 616 access point. This was due to less time spent on dirt roads to get to the canyon. I like hikes with a reward at the end. However, by doing this via 616 the reward comes at you right away in the form of a cool spring head. 

In what is apparent headwaters of this canyon's namesake stream, cool air and water gushed from what I believe is a man-made cut in the rock. There is also a rusty old pipe, indicating this spring has in fact had some human manipulation. 

The trail was mostly easy to follow, although I don't believe this is an official, maintained trail. There were no signs or even cairns; it just follows the creek. The next reward came into view. It was a balanced rock formation that likely served as the namesake for this canyon. Eventually the trail joins an old ATV road and then it becomes easier to follow.

The creek was flowing nicely today. Not too strong so as to make crossing difficult, but not dry either. Further up the canyon the creek waters did disappear underground and then the rocky creek bed was dry. The water would eventually re-appear at a later point further up-canyon. 

The area is surrounded by beautiful ponderosa pines and narrow, grassy meadows. There were plants bearing three leaves. These had stalks of beautiful yellow flowers. I'm not certain they were poison ivy, but I carefully sidestepped them rather than risk finding out the hard way.

There was one final reward near the end. The ruins of an old cabin came into view. It reminded me of Cabin Loop on another part of the rim. 

I intended my return to be via the way I came. As the ATV road ended and footpath began again, I lost the trail. I ended up in a treacherous area searching for the trail. I thought I found it only to look up and see a pile of paper towels. I knew right away. And then the smell hit me. I had stepped in human feces. Some people are so disgusting. And I wasn't on the correct trail.

I eventually got back on the correct path. And naturally, I followed what appeared to be a good path. It was obvious this was an ATV trail. I hadn't come in this way. Aggravated, I studied my GPS and realized I had gone up a side canyon tributary. I opted to keep following the ATV road knowing it would eventually intersect 616, which it did. The Forest Service is in the process of building fences and trying to keep people off these decommissioned ATV roads. In fact, the roads themselves no longer exist on most maps, nor are they numbered. A sign warned of a $5K fine for motorized use. Based on the fresh tire tracks, this is going unheeded. 

My return to the trailhead was nearly a mile along hot, exposed FR-616. I missed getting to see the spring head again, so I guess getting my reward at the beginning was a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment