Friday, August 14, 2026

Great Basin Day Two - Wheeler Peak Area

Weather:  55ยบ, clouds, wind

About this Hike:  I woke up early this morning, excited to summit Wheeler Peak. I imagined a battle for parking spaces at the Summit Trailhead. I also knew that this hike is best accomplished early, before late morning thunderstorm energy starts building.

Well prepared, I was at Summit Trailhead by 7:00am. There were about three other cars in an otherwise empty lot. Wheeler Peak was not visible, shroud in gray clouds. With some sun starting peak thru over the basin valley, I thought the fog would soon burn off. After all, the forecast said high chance for thunderstorms today, so heating would be necessary in order to get those storms poppin'. 

The Wheeler Summit hike started out in beautiful aspen and conifer forest. Eventually, it went above timberline, surrounding me in a moonscape of jagged rocks. The fog hadn't lifted. In fact, it seemed heavier. And the wind was relentless. Other hikers warned me the wind was only going to get worse. 

With one mile and about 1,200 feet of elevation gain to go (meaning this was to be a vertical one mile), I made the tough call to turn back. It wasn't worth forcing it any further. The wind was treacherous and beginning to affect my balance. Even if I somehow made the summit, there would be no views to behold with the thick fog soup. 

It was now about 10:30am. What to do with the rest of this day? It was chilly and breezy, but much better conditions back at the trailhead. I moved the truck into the Bristlecone parking area and decided to do the six-mile loop hike that visits the bristlecone pine grove, passes two alpine lakes, and includes a spur to the glacier. 

While the lot was not full, this was a busy hike. The glacier trail gave me the best views of Wheeler Peak, only about 2,000 vertical feet above. In fact, for a brief time the fog lifted and I used my binoculars to try and see the summit. The fog quickly rolled back in, and a few rumbles of thunder were heard. It never ended up storming near the summit, although rain shafts were visible coming down on the distant basin valley. 

After looking at other's photos, I'm wondering if Wheeler Peak Summit is worth it? I'm sure it is, and I would love to sign the summit register and have the sense of accomplishing this. However, in terms of views, I'm not sure you'll see much more than is already visible at the myriad viewpoints and overlooks within Great Basin National Park. Honestly, the desert basin itself is not that becoming. 

I did enjoy the back half of my day. The six miles felt a lot longer. Maybe because I had expended quite a bit of energy on the failed summit attempt. Maybe because the spur to the glacier is a lot rockier and tougher than you'd expect. Regardless, I took my time and tried to read all the signage the NPS has placed in an effort to learn more about this unique place. 

I have one day left in Great Basin. I'm not so sure I'll re-attempt Wheeler, but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment