Saturday, March 23, 2013

"Loved" My Hike Up Piestewa


Weather:  ~70° & rising. Sunny.

Time to Summit:  28 minutes

About this hike:  Haven't done Piestewa Peak since July (and even then I had some "excess baggage" that quit long before the summit!).  I did try a few weeks ago to access it via Dreamy Draw, but after over an hour of navigating labyrinthine trails that don't match the map (not a fan of Phoenix Mountain Preserve) and then finding the summit trail only to hit a "Trail Closed" sign, I gave up.

Had to fight for parking this morning, but learned that it is legal to park in the surrounding neighborhoods.  The Preserve (not the parking areas tho) stays open until 11pm.  I might have a use for that awesome hiking headlamp I bought last summer...

Despite having to dodge tourists and slow hikers, I made the summit in under 30 min.  While a few catch-my-breathe stops were necessary, Piestewa is almost too easy—Camelback please open again soon!!!

This morning a totally in love couple got engaged complete with picnic basket, wine, roses, candles and a ukulele.  Always something unique every hike...


No comments:

Post a Comment