Sunday, January 14, 2018

Horton Creek to Horton Springs

Weather: 62ยบ, sunny

About this Hike:  I did this trail back in May 2013 and wrote a blog post about it back then.  Glad to say nearly five years later not much has changed.

A relatively flat four mile hike rewards you with views of Horton Spring gushing from the side of a mountain.  Evidence of scrub oak and maple carpeted the ground in places.  The shadowy spots near the spring had a dusting of snow.  Surely this was a more wintery view than the lush forest I enjoyed in May 2013.  Still, there were many old-growth evergreens along this trail.  Not all of them are ponderosa, and I want to research what types of pines these are.  Compared to Prescott, the forest surrounding Payson is more lush and diverse.  I dare say I appreciate this much more now than I did back in 2013 as a relative AZ newbie (two years in AZ at that point).

I need to make sure nearly another fives year period doesn't pass before my next hiking trip in Payson.

Horton Creek




  

No comments:

Post a Comment