Sunday, August 26, 2018

Echo Canyon & Mountain Rescue

Weather:  95ยบ, humid, sun

Time:  36 minutes

About this Hike:  After a week visiting family in Upstate NY it was time for a good Phoenix hike again.  Much heavy restaurant food was consumed, all washed down with plenty of local craft brews.  It was time to sweat it out and get back to feeling good about myself again.

Parking was abundant this morning, although other hikers slowed me down a few times.  That, and the scorching desert sun, plus monsoon humidity, did nothing to help my time to the top.  The views from the summit were exceptionally clear this morning, with haze being heaviest over the east valley. 

On descent I moved wrong and hurt my right shoulder.  It's not severe at all, but it put a damper on the remainder of the hike and left me pondering ominous what-if questions.  However, as I slung myself down the steep embankment where there's just one railing for both sides, I noted a guy with cuts on the side of his face also gripping the railing.  He was conversing with other hikers as he worked his way down, so I didn't think much of it. 

Distant sirens began to approach the Echo Canyon parking lot.  As I finished the railings and rounded the railroad-tie stairs, the parking area came into view.  Fire trucks and EMTs were pulling in.

As I neared the trailhead, EMTs laden with the big wheel and other life-saving gear were on the ascent.  An EMT asked a hiker in front of me if she'd seen the guy and they discussed his injury.  It was the guy I saw with the scrapes on the side of his face.  I hope he's OK, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get the story on tonight's local news. 

This afternoon as I type my blog my right shoulder is fine.  It maybe feels a bit tight, but then again I've been having a lot of unrelated shoulder problems these past few weeks.  I have much to be grateful for including a beautiful, safe hike this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment