Saturday, November 23, 2019

Hackberry Spring, Black Mesa, Lost Dutchman - Western Superstitions Loop

Weather:  65ยบ, sunny, light clouds

About this Hike:  We were treated to three days of significant rain this past week.  By Friday things had cleared up, and by Saturday it seemed perfect for a hike in the Superstitions. 

First Water Trailhead was the goal, with trails accessible from Canyon Lake as a backup should the washes on First Water Rd. be raging.  In fact the washes were dry, if not a bit muddy.  First Water was eroded, but passable in the Tacoma.  Heck, I saw plenty of sedans back there too. 

While the washes along First Water Rd. had dried up, the creeks were flowing strong in the canyons.  Not so strong that crossing the creeks was treacherous, but just enough so as to provide the rare and beautiful juxtaposition of water in the desert. 

We parked at the equestrian staging lot and picked up Hackberry Trail from there.  Down in the canyon the creek was flowing with cold, clear water.  An upper pool flanked by boulders gave way to a small flume down each side.  It was magnificent to see this normally dry arroyo flowing.  I was equally glad to see the water was clear and not black with Woodbury ash.

We hiked out of Hackberry and back up to First Water Trail. There is a grassy, flat meadow with a teddy bear cholla forest.  On past hikes I've commented that between the grass and sun-baked clay, it looks like a flood plain.  My theory was correct.  It was a muddy mess.  It took several detours to get thru the heaviest muddy parts.  I found some deep horse tracks and followed those—the equestrian riders had indeed found the least bad path thru the mud.

From there we continued up Black Mesa and then down into Boulder Canyon.  Boulder Creek was flowing strong and several crossings were tricky but not hard.  In the canyon we heard a sound that was something between a blustering horse and a growl.  First on the right, then on the left, then behind.  Each time this seemingly angry animal would scare a flock of little black birds.  I was locked and loaded, finger on the trigger—of my bear spray.  Then it stopped.

A couple miles further, and now heading back toward the trailhead on Dutchman 104, the sound happened again.  First on the right, then on the left.  This is when we realized there was no animal spooking the birds. Rather, it was the collective wing beats of these little black birds rapidly scattering that caused the spooky noise.  I kept my bear spray close in my pocket anyway.

The hike back along 104 paralleled First Water Creek.  The sound of the running creek was delightfully serene.  There were multiple points where the trail crossed the creekbed. 

We underestimated how long this hike was going to take.  Thankfully I had a jacket and we both had headlamps.  We were treated to a beautiful sunset, stellar dark-sky views, and a hooting owl. 

Upon return to the truck, I was surprised at how many cars were still in the parking lots.  Campers, likely.

And what do I always say when I hike?  It just leads me to discover more trails and places I want to explore.  I'm curious to see as more videos and pictures come out of the Eastern Superstitions how much is left intact post-Woodbury fire and if some of those more rugged, remote hikes may be in my future...


No comments:

Post a Comment