Sunday, October 10, 2021

Cabin Loop Fred Haught - Take Two

Weather:  60ยบ and sunny

About this Hike:  Last year I wrote about a bust of a hike attempting to explore the Fred Haught portion of Cabin Loop Trail.  This year we finally made it back for a do-over.

I should first clarify that in my post last year I mistakenly said we parked at the monument for Battle of Big Dry Wash.  In fact we parked at the Fred Haught trailhead, which is just passed the turn-off from FR300 (Rim Road) for Battleground Ridge.  The actual monument is about eight more miles up FR123. (Sidenote, I want to go back and explore FR123 more.)

Regardless, this time we had proper hiking GPS and followed the correct trail.  Fred Haught and the Arizona Trail run together for a few miles in this area.  I had hoped for some fall color, but this section of the forest is mostly conifer.  The only fall color we found was a small stand of aspens, but it was reflecting beautifully off the water in the creek that parallels Fred Haught Trail.  

About four miles in we reached a sign that pointed to the Fred Haught Cabin.  The sign is unclear, appearing to read either '5 miles' or '.5 miles.'  It ended up being the later.  About a half-mile through a meadow brings you to the remains of the Fred Haught Cabin.  

Next on the Cabin Loop is Pinchot Cabin. We hiked hard and fast, but reached a sign advising two more miles to the cabin.  Based on the time of day, we made a judgment call and turned around.  THAT Brewing Company in Pine was calling our name for dinner and drinks. 

What I did learn from this hike is that you don't have to hike the entire 24-mile Cabin Loop in order to see many of these cabins.  In fact, Pinchot Cabin has road access via FR139 / 139A.

Seems every time I visit the Rim, all I do is learn of more areas I want to explore. Guess I'll need to head back to Cabin Loop area again sometime soon. 




No comments:

Post a Comment