Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Camelback Christmas Tree

Weather:  71°, sunny, partly cloudy, poor AQ

About this Hike:  When I created this blog years ago, its namesake was to serve as a record of my climbs up Camelback Mountain. I used to do this climb once a week most every week.  In 2016 during a brief period of unemployment, climbing Camelback or Piestewa was a near daily workout routine for me.  

Times have changed.  Camelback has only gotten increasingly more popular.  Then the pandemic struck and everyone and their brother decided they were outdoorsmen.  

Labor Day Weekend 2020 was the last time I visited Camelback.  Now more than a year since my last climb, I decided to visit Camelback on this weekday afternoon.  Surely a Wednesday afternoon won't be busy, right?  Wrong.  Parking was full and a city parks ranger was keeping watch.  I circled the lot once, thinking seriously about scrapping my plans and going home. Then a spot miraculously opened in front of me.  

Today's hike had a bit of an ulterior motive, as I wanted to see if the Camelback Christmas Tree tradition was still going on.  In past years people were offended, complained, and just generally tried to ruin it for everyone. Then bureaucracy stepped in and eventually created rules and a special use permit.  The tree is still a thing, albeit I don't see the traditional handmade ornaments anymore. All I see are bird treats.  

The hike was crowded, tourists blocked the trail for selfies, and the air was smoggy as is typical this time of year.  I also pondered all the hazards along this trail that could lead to nasty falls and broken bones.  I'll be facing a huge reduction in benefits for my employer-sponsored medical insurance Jan. 01.  

Between parking mayhem, crowds, and potential injury, I can't say I enjoy Camelback like I once did.  But I'm glad I got to see this Christmas tradition for another year. 




No comments:

Post a Comment