Saturday, October 29, 2022

Haunted Canyon 2022

Weather:  71°, sunny

About this Hike: Haunted Canyon has become an October tradition now since I first explored the lower trailhead in 2020.  Last year, I explored the upper trailhead.  This is actually one trail, but the convergence point is at a meadow that leads to the abandoned cabin at Tony Ranch.   

Shortly after starting, this hike climbs a ridge above Haunted Canyon. Despite being in high-desert grassland with some juniper/cypress forest, there are some healthy saguaros up on the ridge. It's so cool to see these majestic cacti co-existing in an ecosystem typically outside their range. 

Past what I like to call Saguaro Ridge, the trail dips down into Pinto Creek, which forms Haunted Canyon.  My recollection of the lower trailhead from two years ago is that it was easy to follow and well blazed.  This year was a little different.  Sections of the trail are getting crowded with live oak and catclaw.  Two years ago 2020 had been an exceptionally dry year.  Pinto Creek was dry that year.  This year parts of it were flowing strong, while other parts were dry.  The damp creek beds were full of leafs-of-three, most of which were turning brilliant fall colors.  I definitely brushed my hiking pants against some of these, despite my best efforts to sidestep.  So far no rash and itching...  

At times the trail became difficult to follow and I found myself off trail and getting increasingly aggravated.  I met a large group of back packers, and they were helpful to follow.  

For all the difficulty getting to the junction with the side trail to Tony Ranch, the actual hike into the ranch wasn't too bad.  In past years I've found this side trail very difficult to follow.  I think it's probably getting more action, and therefore becoming well-worn, as more people learn about this historic site and come out to explore it. 

I was so annoyed by the hike in that I considered continuing up Trail 203 to the upper trailhead and then returning to the lower trailhead via FR-287A to form a 13.5 mile loop.  However, the overgrowth is likely bad on the upper parts of 203 as well (it was bad in parts last year).  I opted to just return the way I came, which was a good choice.  The hike back to the trailhead parking ended up being more enjoyable.  I think it was because I was more mentally prepared for the annoying overgrowth.  Despite the flowing creek, I saw next to no wildlife, although there was plenty of bear evidence.  

I'm glad to keep this Halloweekend tradition going for another year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment