Saturday, September 20, 2014

Back to the Camel!

Weather:  89°, humid, partly cloudy, RAIN

Time:  Not taken

About this hike:  Felt so good to be back at Camelback after being out of town the last 2 Saturdays.  I am recovering from a cold and decided I wouldn't even bother taking my time as I've been fatigued a lot lately.  Now I wish I would've.  While I made plenty of stops, once I got going the hike made me feel a lot better and I moved pretty quick.

My time at the summit was cut short by a rain shower. I knew it was coming as I could see the Valley to the east had a fine mist over it.  Rain didn't last long, but made the rocks incredibly slick going down.  Nothing I haven't experienced a few times before, but just the same I was having gory visions of a broken ankle. Gratefully I made it down ok; in fact the trail was dry and the sun back out by the time I reached the trailhead.

I had my old Skecher Punisher hiking boots on today.  Even though I replaced these back in March, I got it in my head that they were still good.  The soles are nice and cushy; the bottoms have very poor tread.  That made the slick rocks even more fun.  Rather than let myself be tempted to wear them again, they didn't go home with me.  (I trashed them--I don't condone littering!)

Near the bottom a guy and girl in front of me commented about a recent hike at Diamond Head in Honolulu, HI.  Totally random--exactly a week ago today I was climbing Diamond Head in Hawaii.  Was an awesome hike and one I'd go back to Honolulu just to do again!

With daytime highs only around >100, fall is here in the Valley.  Here's to many more hikes, crowded trails, and tourist season!

Not the view from Camelback...but as long as we're talking about
Diamond Head on Oahu...

No comments:

Post a Comment