Saturday, March 7, 2015

Superstition Flat Iron

Weather:  82°, sunny

About this hike:   Been over a year since I've come out to this beautiful place. Parking was the most crowded I've ever seen and a park ranger advised I'd have to park in overflow. However, once I got thru the labyrinth that is Lost Dutchman State Park I was able to score a good spot.

The waterfall was flowing at a trickle in Siphon Draw...very pretty without making a dangerous situation.

I think I've conquered my fear at the end of the trail where you have to pull yourself up a ~7-8 foot ledge using either tricky hand holds in the rock or an exposed tree limb.  I used to freak out here every time, but I think I've mastered the art of grabbing the tree limb and finagling my way up.  Wonder what we'll do when the tree limb eventually snaps off?

Some interesting things from today:

  • Met a group that was going to camp on the Flat Iron. They were hauling up huge backpacks of camping gear
  • Saw Mt. Lemmon down near Tucson
  • May have seen Picacho Peak, but it was hard to determine for certain
  • Enjoyed all the spring poppies and wildflowers
I don't know why I don't visit this beautiful place more often.  We're so fortunate to have this only 40 miles from Phoenix.





No comments:

Post a Comment