Thursday, February 8, 2018

Heart Stress Test on Piestewa

Weather:  85ยบ, sunny

Time:  26.5 minutes

About this Hike:  This past weekend I had an incident. The dawning hours of Superbowl Sunday found me in the ER with an uncontrollably racing heart.  Assured that my vitals were good and that my heart wasn't beating fast enough to cause any damage, I was discharged and on my way.

However, after that scary episode I've been concerned about my ticker.  While my heart rate and my daily routines have returned to normal, my Samsung Galaxy S-Health heart monitor has been getting more use lately.

I've been doing my usual workouts no problem.  Today I wanted to stress test my heart.  Anyone that knows me knows what I think of running on Phoenix (or any for that matter) mountain trails.  I didn't run up, but I did push hard.  I got my heart rate into 'Vigorous' territory according to S-Health.  No chest pain was felt. 

I did begin to tire as I reached the top.  This winter's unseasonable heat and sunshine may have had something to do with that though.  I didn't quite go to the summit, but pulled time early as a handicap.  The mountain wasn't busy today, but I did stop my hike to put my finger on the S-Health sensor quite a bit.  Being in a bit of a hurry, my feet didn't quite the touch the summit before I pivoted to head back down. 

Overall an enjoyable hike.  Glad I'm still tickin' and able to do hikes like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment