Monday, February 19, 2018

Presidential Camelback

Weather:  63ยบ, overcast, very windy

Time:  30 minutes

About this Hike:  Presidents Day isn't a huge holiday, right?  (Technically I'm not supposed to have it off, but was granted it this once...but that's another story.)  So I thought...

I ventured up to Echo Canyon at about 1 p.m. today.  The 'Lot Full' was sign was up; the gate was down.  Cars were circling the area like vultures waiting to pounce.  Residential streets in the area have since erected 'No U-Turn' and 'Local Traffic Only' signs due to the high number of parking-spot seekers who turn around in their driveways. 

So I headed to my secret spot.  Fitting for today as said secret spot has a presidential suite and has hosted both President Trump and former President Obama in recent years.  They still haven't put gates back up, although a sign warns that Camelback hikers should visit the valet stand first...I guess they're on to us; the secret is out. 

About 10 minutes later I had returned on foot to the Echo Canyon trailhead.  The lot was no longer full.  Gates were re-opened; signs were down.  This happens 9 out of 10 times when I choose to park off-site. WHY!?!

Today I could have used a close parking spot at the trailhead.  With the howling wind it was chilly.  It's about three months later, but winter finally got the memo... The trail was crowded, but there were large sections of open trail.  I made a number of water stops not because I was thirsty (the cool temps will do that), but because I knew hydration is not to be forgotten. 

In the end I reached the summit in about 30 minutes—maybe even a hair less.  Not bad considering the crowds.  I've also got the remnants of a cold that's all in my lungs.  Thankfully my chest didn't hurt too bad on this hike.  Hopefully that howling wind didn't have anything toxic in it...  I will say that wind nearly blew me off balance a few times.  Naturally, I didn't remain on the summit for long, just long enough to snap this panorama.  Dark skies are to the west; slightly clearing skies in the East Valley.  Such a beautiful, blustery winter day in Phoenix:


No comments:

Post a Comment