Saturday, March 3, 2018

Boulder Canyon #103 - Superstitions

Weather:  72ยบ, sunny, breezy

About this Hike:   I've spent many weekends kayaking on Canyon Lake.  However, this is the first time in six years that my feet have touched the Boulder Canyon Trail which begins across the street from Canyon Lake Marina. 

Six years ago I took pictures of the captivating vistas high above Canyon Lake.  I took many a photo of Battleship Mountain and Weaver's Needle in the distance.  Last time I believe I began hiking up the boulder-strewn creek bed toward the hull of the battleship.  And then I must have turned back. 

This time we kept pressing on down Boulder Canyon Trail.  The elevation varies widely on this hike, and we enjoyed some good uphill workouts followed by careful descents on both the out and the back portions. The first descent is into La Barge Creek.  Next up on the trail is the canyon's namesake Boulder Creek.  Being in the canyons near these seasonal creeks lends to some interesting vegetation.  The area has a semi-riparian feel to it.

Large vegetation - Indian Paint Mine sinkhole
Prior to getting to Boulder Creek we came into an area of red rock.  And do I mean red—like Sedona red.  An old foundation, walls, and a sinkhole greeted us in the red rock area.  It appeared Jack's Beanstalk was shooting up out of the sinkhole.  Around this area are some narrow but very explorable canyons in the red rock.  I learned this is known as Indian Paint Mine , and apparently the sinkhole is where natives extracted red rock to create paint and pottery.  Very cool stuff. 

By continuing on #103 the Paint Mine's red rocks quickly fade back to the orange, yellow, and black lichen-covered escarpments that are so prevalent in this area of the Superstitions. 

The well-signed junction with Second Water Trail was the next waypoint and then another creek  came into view.  This creek actually had some water in it, reminiscent of rains The Valley experienced earlier in the week.  The water was trickling but looked stagnant. 

Kayaking at Canyon Lake has afforded me considerable knowledge about the topography of the Superstitions; the Salt River watershed; and this eerie, magnificent portion of the Tonto National Forest.  I greatly enjoyed visiting Boulder Canyon again. 

And now my curiosity is piqued.  I hope it won't be another six years until my next visit.  Before the weather gets too hot, I plan to explore First and Second Water Trails in this area. 

Battleship Mtn. & Weavers Needle in the background

Looking down the canyon as it drains into Canyon Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment