Saturday, June 30, 2018

Chevelon Canyon Lake - One Check Off the Bucket List

Weather:  75ยบ, very sunny, breezy

About this Hike:  I seldom blog about my kayaking adventures, this in spite of the fact that I consider kayaking to be hiking over water.

A year or so ago I found a place on the map called Chevelon Canyon Lake.  High on the Mogollon Rim, this man-made inpound of Chevelon Creek beckoned to me.  In June 2016 I kayaked Willow Springs Lake, which happens to be another reservoir on Chevelon Creek.  Willow Springs sits next to AZ-260 and is much more accessible.  Chevelon Canyon, on the other hand, requires about 18 miles over dirt roads.  Warnings everywhere advise it's 'the most remote of the Rim Lakes.'

The drive sounded daunting and was a big part of what kept me from Chevelon Canyon.  I couldn't find good answers regarding the series of dirt roads that lead up to the lake.  Arizona Highways described the final stretch as 'deeply rutted,' in an undated article.  The internet does not abound with information either.  People I spoke to told me everything from, "I did it in a sedan!" to, "High clearance, 4WD recommended."

I even called the Black Mesa Ranger District where a ranger described the road as 'improved gravel.'  With dry conditions this year, I figured erosion on the road would be low.  I decided to give it a try in my RWD Xterra.

Undeniably, I was nervous as FR-300 (Rim Road) gave way to dirt just after Woods Canyon Lake.  FR-300 is a wide, well-maintained dirt road.  Other than some washboarding, which was worse on the inbound side, this is a fine dirt road.  Next is a right turn onto FR-169, where the bulk of the drive takes place.  FR-169 is everything a dirt/gravel road should be.  Seldom washboardy, no ruts, well maintained.  All of these roads are well signed, too.

Another right onto FR-169B encompasses the last two miles of the journey.  FR-169B is said to be the worst section of this drive.  Narrower and strewn with small rocks, FR-169B is a little rough in places.  There are a couple hills that are rutted and tricky, but not bad by any means.  At no point was I nervous about a tip over.  I should also mention that there are no steep drops off the side of any of these roads.

Finally, the Chevelon Canyon Lake Campground came into view.  I nabbed a fantastic campsite (it's first come, first served) in a corner area.  My Xterra was shaded by a big juniper.  My site at this primitive campground was complete with picnic table and a taped-off fire ring.  (We're lucky Chevelon Canyon is even open right now; much of Apache-Sitegraves Forest is closed.)  I should also mention that while this is considered a remote area, my Verizon cell phone seldom had fewer than two bars...

Getting to the lake from the campground takes another 3/4 mile hike down into the canyon.  Remember that what goes down must come up, even after a long day of paddling on the lake.  This is along an old, unmaintained road that is gated at the campground.  ATVs can drive this section of the road.  My guess would be this road was last used when the large concrete spillway that protects the earthen dam was poured.

I carried my kayak down the entire way.  It was tough work, but the views on this remote, beautiful lake were worth it.  A kind gentleman on a quad offered to haul it up for me at the end of the day.

Finally, I shot some video of the drive out of the campground along FR-169B.  Use this to make your own assessment, but remember, monsoon rains, snow, etc. can quickly change a dirt road.



No comments:

Post a Comment