Saturday, July 14, 2018

Monsoon Clouds, Giant Swallowtails, & Camelback

Weather:  93ยบ, humid, cloudy

Time:  33.5 minutes

About this Hike:  Monsoon 2018 is in full force.  Temps area little lower, humidity levels are higher, and clouds are hanging over the Valley.  While the blazing sun was not an issue today, the humidity definitely took it's toll on my time up the mountain.

Initially, I thought weather conditions may spur a rush of hikers at Echo Canyon, filling up the parking lot.  I probably was correct early this morning.  The 'Lot Full' sign was tossed to the side, but precariously close to blocking the entrance.  Upon my mid-morning arrival parking was abundant.  Again, I needlessly burned two-times the Vitamin G by driving the Xterra instead of the Mazda.  (I do this because I'm particular about where I park the Mazda; I'm more lenient with the old Xterra.)

It was an enjoyable hike on crowd-free trails.  Views from the top were beautiful in the gray light, and the air around the Valley seems cleaner now that this rain-less spell is behind us.  Large black butterflies (Giant Swallowtails?) swarmed the summit as they often do once monsoon moisture gets in the air. 

All in all, a fantastic day for a hike on the camel's back.

No comments:

Post a Comment