Saturday, July 29, 2023

Battleground Ridge & Battling a Thunderstorm

Weather:  83°; clouds and sun

About this Hike:  Visiting Battleground Ridge on the Mogollon Rim has been on my bucket list a while. This monument can be driven to via Rim Road (FR-300) and FR-123. However, hiking to it from the Rock Crossing area of the Arizona Trail is also a very doable 11.5 - 12 mile day hike. 

I parked at the Arizona Trail parking area on the side of FR-751. This road leads to Rock Crossing Campground and eventually down to Blue Ridge Reservoir. 

This segment of Arizona Trail begins in forest that is rocky grassland. One area of minor fire damage led to stepping over some downed trees, but it was nothing too challenging. Eventually this hike begins steeply descending into Clear Creek Canyon.  

The trail reaches the fine, rocky bed of Clear Creek, which it traverses at well-marked crossings. Clear Creek is completely dry in this area right now, and you're a little way upriver from where the waters of Blue Ridge Reservoir officially start.

The climb out of Clear Creek is equally steep. In fact, the vast majority of elevation change during this hike occurs climbing up and down the sides of Clear Creek Canyon. Despite the tough elevation change, it's worth taking your time to look around. On the north side of Clear Creek are some cool rock formations and volcanic remnants. On the south side you'll enjoy some of the most varied conifer forest this hike offers. 

Once up and over the creek, the trail becomes an old road. It's also fairly level. I studied the possibility of a shortcut around an area called Battleground Tank. All Trails map even indicates a trail in this area. In reality, there's no trail. In fact, looking at the topographic map indicated I'd have to traverse at least one, if not two, ravines. These were likely steep and in thick forest. I opted to stick to the sure thing and follow the trail.

The old road doubling as Arizona Trail intersects FR-123, which has utility lines running parallel to it. Those lines eventually run up to a Blue Ridge Reservoir pumping station. At FR-123-E there's a signed junction. The pumping station is to the right and Battleground Ridge is to the left, each about two miles from the where the road forks. 

I followed the road up to Battleground Ridge. I was surprised to see some people had setup camp up there. I paused at the monument and read the placards on both sides. I also hiked around the area a little bit, as I know from the map that you're on a ridge that overlooks the lake. For the most part all I found were near-vertical drop offs that would eventually lead down to the lake. The forest and foliage were far too thick to see through. However, I did find one vantage point where I could see the lake. I even saw a kayak go paddling by on the water far below. 

My return was the via the way I came in. It was now almost noon and thunderstorms were beginning to build in. My return hike involved a lot of hustling and pushing myself to go faster, constantly outrunning the dark, thundering clouds that seemed to be chasing me. I guess my strategy worked...I was back to the truck just as the rain started coming down. 

I drove down the rim and into Strawberry for a much-deserved after-hike treat at Pie Bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment