Friday, July 21, 2023

Thompson Trail #629 - High Road vs. Low Road

Weather:  79°; clouds and sun

About this Hike:  Getting there may be half the fun, but not when it comes to the White Mountains. The drive takes forever, which is why I'd only been to this part of the state once in the past. 

But now that Payson is home, that drive is 'only' about three hours, and I'm planning on exploring the White Mountains more in depth. With Payson weather as of late being reminiscent of the Phoenix Valley weather I left behind (triple digits and no rain), I decided to head for the 'coolest' spot in the state right now. 

I set up camp Friday afternoon at Winn Campground under threatening skies. Rain showers started just east of Pinetop and followed me the entire way to the campground. With my site picked out and camp set up, I headed out for my first hike.

Being as it was late afternoon, I planned an easy hike for this evening. I've long seen photos from the White Mountains of lush, wildflower-studded meadows with a stream flowing through the middle. I wanted this type of scenery to be my White Mountains experience. The hike on Thompson Trail did not disappoint.  

The hike begins at a well-signed trailhead off a maintained gravel road. I hiked along a decommissioned forest road and admired views of the west fork of the Black River down below. I saw what looked like a path on the river's edge and even some other hikers down there. The embankment was pretty steep, and I wondered how they got down there... 

Eventually I reached the end of the old road at a marked junction. The sign read 'Thompson Trail 0.3 mile.' I thought I had been on the Thompson Trail the whole time. Looking at my map, I saw a series of extremely tight switchbacks in the direction where the sign pointed to Thompson Trail. Those switchbacks would take me down to the river. But would there be a trail down there, or would it be marshy grass? I decided to explore, but only a little further. The trail was rocky and getting hard to follow. I opted to play it safe and return the way I came, at least until I reached a small saddle where the embankment wasn't so steep. 

Climbing down the embankment and through the marshy grass, I was able to get down to the river's edge where a well-blazed trail awaited me. I followed this all the way back to a gate on the old road, which then led back to the trailhead. In other words, I could have hiked at the river's edge the entire time. The trick is to follow the path to the left of the gate as you come in via the old road. Regardless, this was a beautiful, easy ~5 mile hike, and a good intro to the White Mountains.

I returned to camp to get ready for the next day's big hike at Mount Baldy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment