Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Camelback Echo Canyon - New Record!

Weather:  59°, sunny

Time:  27 minutes

About this hike:  I thought it couldn't be done.  Twenty-eight minutes was to be my record up Camelback Mountain Echo Canyon.  And then somehow I did in 27.  Granted, this does factor in a handicap, but regardless, I was pushing hard and rarely even stopped to take a sip of Powerade.

I'm honestly not sure that 27 minutes can be beat though.  Reason is, I refuse to run on any of the mountain trails.  Runners pass me constantly, especially on the way down, and I hope for their safety every time I see one.  I have witnessed many an injury on those mountain trails, and I believe it is in part due to people running and tripping over rocks.  Of course not bringing water, hiking at 2:00pm on a July day, and venturing off trail are all culprits as well.  Like the sign at the trailhead advises, "Don't be that hiker..."

So a very enjoyable hike today.  As I was leaving the PHX PD chopper was circling above and park rangers were arriving at the trailhead parking lot.  I overhead a ranger say a mountain rescue was in progress...


No comments:

Post a Comment