Thursday, January 21, 2016

Hike to Camelback Summit - Less Hazy Today

Weather:  53°, sunny

Time:  28 minutes

About this hike:  Time-wise today was a repeat of yesterday, so I won't post the screenshots from the S-Health app.  However, I feel more confident about this 28-minute today.  Yesterday was all about justifying how I calculated a handicap.  Today, despite the mountain being more crowded, I managed to make great time.  And yes, I took a handicap, but it wasn't as generous as yesterday...

Coming down there was a group of high-school aged kids playing tag; this started right around the railroad tie stairs.  The shenanigans continued thru the graded dirt portion of the trail all the way back to the trailhead.  They only stopped every now and again to make out.  Otherwise, they'd run ahead of me with someone screaming, "I'm it!" and then they'd eventually stop, wait for me to pass, and then start again.  I was very fearful that their reckless running would end with one falling and taking me along for the ride off the mountain... Seriously, I want to start a "hiker shaming" website...

Despite my complaining about youthful non-sense, today was a great hike.  Also noteworthy is that the brown cloud and pollution that's been so bad all over the Valley seems to have lifted today.  The mountain views were a lot clearer than even yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment