Monday, February 8, 2016

Rules on Piestewa...

Weather:  71°, sunny

Time:  23 minutes

About this hike:  Just a week ago we were experiencing cold winter conditions.  What a difference seven days can make.  We're now staring down a week of 80°+ temps.  Each February we get a warm up like this, sometimes it's for good, sometimes winter makes a return.  Regardless, I always find myself clinging to the vestiges of our too-short desert winters.

Today I nabbed a good parking spot, but it was between two other cars.  House rule is that I always park on an end or on street to mitigate the risk for door dings from inconsiderate people who have no regard for others' property.  I violated that rule today and my car now has a fresh dent in the back door.  

Descending the trail I sprinted on a straightaway. It dislodged my nice AZ Cardinals stainless water bottle and it hit the rocks, denting and gouging it all up.  Another one of my "house rules" violated—no running on trails.  Admittedly I'm OCD at keeping my stuff pristine and don't take well to unnecessary damage.

Despite some bad luck for my material possessions, I would be remiss if I didn't say that I'm grateful...grateful for our Phoenix mountains, grateful for beautiful weather, grateful for the ability to hike, and grateful for a safe hike today.

No comments:

Post a Comment